American and Swedish Fulbrighters


A Fulbright grant is much more than financial support. Fulbright grantees enjoy a number of additional benefits including assistance in the application process to US universities, on-program support while in the US, unique cultural benefits and access to the global Fulbright network.

Click next to the flag on the left for detailed information, application instructions and deadlines for each program.

The Fulbright Commission in Sweden offers the following grants for citizens of Sweden and the US.


Swedish Graduate Student Program: For Swedish students with an excellent academic record who will complete a Swedish or EU university degree prior to departure for the U.S. and who intend to stay at least one academic year. Open for all fields of study, except medicine (with the exception of public health and medical research), dentistry or veterinary medicine. *Graduate student applications include: Master degrees, Ph.D. degrees, non-degree, and Visiting Student Researchers. 

Swedish Visiting Lecturer/Research Scholar Program: For Swedish postdoctoral scholars who wish to lecture and/or conduct advanced research in the United States and who have established affiliation with an American university or research center. The period of stay in the U.S. is a minimum of three months. 

Swedish Visiting Lecturer in Scandinavian Studies - the Fulbright-Hildeman Fellowship: One American university is selected each year to receive a Swedish visiting lecturer in the field of Scandinavian Studies. Interested applicants should contact the Swedish Fulbright Commission for details on the current program.  See the Hildeman page for more details.


American Graduate Student Program: For American students wishing to study at the graduate level and/or conduct independent research in Sweden. For application information, please contact the Institute of International Education (IIE). 

Visiting Lecturer/Research Scholar Program: For American postdoctoral scholars wishing to lecture and/or conduct advanced research in Sweden. Grants are also available for three Fulbright Distinguished Chairs. The application deadline for Fulbright grants to Sweden is August 1, for the following academic year. For information, including the full catalogue of awards, please contact: Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) 

Inter-Country Program: Swedish universities and research centers interested in inviting U.S. Fulbright scholars already in Europe to lecture and discuss common research interests at their institutions can apply for travel funds from the Fulbright Commission to bring the scholar to Sweden. Requests can be submitted for American Fulbright lecturers/researchers in Europe. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis through April 30.

Fulbright Specialists Program: Short term grant opportunities (14-42 days) for American faculty and professionals to collaborate with Swedish institutions on curriculum and faculty development, institutional planning and a variety of other activities. For application information, please contact the Swedish Fulbright Commission.


Fulbright NEXUS Regional Scholars Program:
A global Fulbright program that brings together leading research scholars and professionals to conduct multi-disciplinary research on a theme of global significance. For more information on the program, please see the CIES website.

The Fulbright-Schuman Program:
Administered by the Belgium/Luxembourg Fulbright Commission, the program provides approximately 13 grants to citizens of Member States of the European Union for study, research or lecturing on European Union affairs, European integration, US-EU relations, and international education administration. These grants are awarded for a minimum period of three (3) months, with a maximum period of ten (10) months. For more information on the program and application, please see the PDF.