The Fulbright Student Program

For American students wishing to study at the pre- and graduate levels and/or conduct independent research in Sweden. The grant provides a maintenance allowance for nine months* and a travel allowance toward round-trip travel to and from Sweden.

The application deadline and comprehensive information on how to apply for this program through IIE can be found here: Applying for the US Student Program.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens at the time of the application. Preference is given to applicants whose higher education was received primarily at educational institutions in the United States and to candidates who have not resided or studied recently in Sweden for more than six months. Applicants must hold a B.A. degree or the equivalent before the beginning date of the grant and may not hold a doctoral degree at the time of the application. *Grantees may apply for an extension of up to 3 months on a case-by-case basis.

Letter of affliliation: all students and researchers from the U.S. are required to have an affiliation in Sweden. While affiliations should be academic, they may include museums, cultural organizations and think tanks. Please contact the Commission directly in case of uncertainty. The following guideline is provided to assist prospective hosts in Sweden: Guidelines for Prospective Host Affiliations and Advisors.

Grant benefits

⚬ Fulbright branding
⚬ Maintenance allowance for nine months
⚬ Travel allowance (one-time)
⚬ Dependent allowance (when applicable)
⚬ Accident and sickness insurance
⚬ Cultural events and activities